Thanks for looking!
Saturday, September 17, 2016
Thursday, December 31, 2015
I think I might be the only person who gets more excited about the cardboard that's delivered with a package than the actual present that's inside. We got some double-ply cardboard recently and it told me it wanted to be a Barbie pirate ship so I granted its wish.
Here is the finished product:
Here is the finished product:
And she's done! It's been a long time coming, I hope you'll excuse that I moved houses twice this year, and had an infant to take care of.
I just used scrapbook paper for the walls. In the past I've used modpodge to glue the paper on, but I find that this ripples the paper because of the water content. So I splashed out and bought some dollhouse wallpaper glue which keeps the paper from peeling and rippling. The floor is also scrap book paper, but I cut it into 3x3 pieces first and then glued it on to help fight the rippling and because that special glue is so darned expensive. The columns are cake-decorating columns and the swan and torso I found at a charity shop.
The wanscoting is made from cereal-box cardboard that I cut out into the right pattern and glued together. Looks awesome right? The vase was found at a charity shop, the piano was made by me (see my tutorial). The rocking chair was made from clothespins and the rug is just a faux piece of fur from the craft store. The wall paper is actually a piece of fabric. I had a terrible time gutting it to the shape of those peaked windows though. The floor is made from popsicle sticks.
That fire place is made from cardboard and the bricks are made from sandpaper. The bricks on the floor are made from egg crates that I painted different colors. All the things on the shelf are made by me. Not too happy with the stencil on the wall though.
This little chaise is made from cardboard and covered with felt. See the chess piece bishops I used for the legs? The grandfather clock is made by me (see my tutorial). The floor is 1.5 inch squares of scrapbook paper glued down in a regrettable pattern...
This doll house was sold to raise money for a general humanitarian aid fund and for a Syrian refugee fund. Thanks for looking.
Saturday, January 31, 2015
I made doll plates from the little pull tabs that come on juice cartons.
Pull that little tab off and you end up with the plastic bits on the left. I carefully sliced off the top ring and it ends up looking like the plate on the right.
I then printed some pictures of plates off. I just googled something like "china plate" in an image search.
I cut them out and used mod podge to glue the paper to the plastic.
Tuesday, January 27, 2015
Today's featured piece of trash is this lovely green soda bottle. I used it as stems for some recycled doll roses.
The first step is to cut the green bottle into tiny strips like so:
Then I put the strips over a flame. As the area of plastic over the fire becomes hot, it will be pliable enough to twist as seen below. When removed from the heat, it keeps it's shape and becomes much more stiff than before.
Then take some dollar store zig-zag ribbon and wrap it around the plastic stems, gluing as you go.
Voila! Recycled doll roses.